Organic Rosemary and Parmesan Cheese Scones
Rosemary adds an herby goodness to these savory organic Parmesan cheese scones.
Use organic ingredients where possible.
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons Simply Organic® Rosemary
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons butter, cold and cubed
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk + 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Extra Parmesan cheese and Simply Organic® Rosemary (for garnish, optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cheese, sugar, rosemary and baking powder. Whisk together.
- Add butter. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, cut the butter into the dry ingredients until the cubes resemble coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and milk together. Pour egg and milk into the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- With your hands, bring the dough together into a ball. On a piece of wax parchment paper, place the dough and using your fingers, push the dough outward into a circle until an inch-high patty forms.
- With a knife or pizza cutter, cut the dough into eight slices as though cutting a pizza or pie.
- With a pastry brush, brush the optional 1 tablespoon milk over the scones. Separate the scones on the parchment paper.
- On a baking stone or cookie sheet, place the parchment (and scones).
- Bake for 16 to 18 minutes. Five minutes before removing the scones from the oven, garnish the tops with a few sprinkles of dried rosemary and Parmesan cheese.
- Substitute freshly grated Asiago for the Parmesan, if desired.
- Substitute low-fat dairy or almond milk for the whole milk, if desired.
Simply Organic® Rosemary
Organic rosemary with a fresh taste that stars in dressings, soups, breads and sauces.