Organic Peppery Bacon Cornbread Stuffing
This organic cornbread stuffing recipe delivers a kick with black peppercorns, chili powder, cumin and garlic.
SERVES: 8 to 10
Use organic ingredients where possible.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Black Peppercorns, coarsely crushed
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Cumin
- 1 teaspoon fresh squeezed Simply Organic® Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Cinnamon
- 10 cups cubed plain cornbread, lightly toasted
- 6 slices cooked bacon, chopped
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1⁄4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch casserole dish.
- Melt butter in a large skillet set over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, red pepper, celery, peppercorns, garlic powder, cumin, oregano, chili powder, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon. Cook, stirring frequently, for 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, toss vegetable mixture with cornbread, bacon and parsley until combined. Stir in eggs until combined. Stir in broth gradually. Transfer to prepared pan. Cover with foil.
- Bake, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue to bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until set in the center and golden on top. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- To add moisture, stir in turkey drippings.
Simply Organic® Black Pepper
Organic Indian Malabar pepper, to lend familiar (but extra tasty) bite to any dish.