- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Boil rice in broth for about 45 minutes, or until tender and splitting open.
- Meanwhile, melt butter over medium heat in an enameled, cast iron casserole (or other large, oven-safe pot) and brown pork for 8 to 10 minutes, breaking up with a spatula as it cooks. Add mushrooms, onion, celery, sage, parsley and thyme. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix in rice (and any broth left over from cooking), cover and bake for 20 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to bake for 10 more minutes, until dressing has a bit of a crust on top.
- Serve immediately or cool and refrigerate up to 4 days. Freezes well in airtight containers or sealable plastic bags.
Note: For a vegan version, omit the sausage and replace the chicken broth with vegetable stock, but increase the sage by about ½ tablespoon. You may also want to add additional salt at the end.
Rinse the rice in cold water before cooking to help keep it from getting sticky.