Organic Turkey Roulade
Let Simply Organic® help you dress up your turkey platter this season, with this surprisingly simple turkey roulade recipe. Filled with sweet-savory sourdough stuffing enhanced with pungent organic herbs and black pepper, this beautiful rolled turkey breast will form the perfect centerpiece to your holiday meal.
MAKES: 1 turkey breast (3 to 4 servings)
Use organic ingredients where possible.
For the turkey:
- 1 boneless, skinless turkey breast (21⁄2 to 3 pounds)
- Simply Organic® Black Pepper
- Butcher's twine
For the filling:
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet apple, cored and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 slice sourdough bread, torn into small pieces
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Thyme Leaf
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Sage Leaf
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Rosemary Leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Black Pepper
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (or cooking oil of choice)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Butterfly turkey breast, slicing horizontally but not quite all the way through. The turkey breast should open like a book. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Place a piece of parchment paper under breast and on top. Using a rolling pin, flatten out breast. Remove parchment and place 4 to 6 pieces of butcher's twine, evenly spaced, under flattened breast.
- In a large skillet, melt butter. Add celery, fennel, apple and onion and sauté about 7 minutes, until mixture begins to sweat and soften. Add bread, thyme, sage, rosemary, salt and pepper, stirring to combine. Add wine and cook another 2 to 3 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. Allow mixture to cool.
- Spread filling evenly over flattened turkey breast and press down. Roll breast up tightly. Tie butcher's twine around turkey roll to secure. Transfer to a baking sheet.
- Pour olive oil over turkey, spreading to cover the turkey. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 45 minutes, until center of turkey reaches 155 degrees. Remove from oven, cover with foil and let rest for about 15 minutes.
- Remove butcher's twine, slice and serve.
- For great sweet flavor, use Honeycrisp or Gala apples.
- Other bread may be substituted for the sourdough.