Organic Hearty Black Bean and Pumpkin Soup
Our spicy organic black bean and pumpkin soup is hearty enough to serve up as a main course.
Use organic ingredients where possible.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1 (3 1⁄2 pound) pumpkin, seeded, peeled and diced
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach
- 3 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained
- 1 (16-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Black Pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Chili Powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Cayenne
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Heat butter in a large soup pot. Add onions, sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon sea salt; cover and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until onions are tender.
- Add diced pumpkin, spinach, black beans, tomatoes, garlic, pepper, broth, thyme, rosemary, sage, chili powder, cayenne and remaining sea salt.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender.
- Remove from heat. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and Parmesan cheese. Serve warm.
- When shopping for your pumpkin, check your local farmer's market for cooking variety pumpkins such as the “small sugar” or “pie pumpkin” varieties.
Simply Organic® Thyme
Extra-fancy grade, French-style organic thyme for soups, sauces and classic spice blends.