Organic Salted Caramel Hot Buttered Rum
Organic coconut sugar, sea salt and cinnamon serve up a new take on this classic winter cocktail.
Use organic ingredients where possible.
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 Simply Organic® Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water + 1⁄2 cup
- 1 cup rum
- 1 cup butter, salted or unsalted, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Vanilla Extract
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Cinnamon
For the rum:
- In a saucepan, over medium-high heat, combine the coconut sugar and 1⁄2 cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a lively simmer.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, add the cinnamon sticks. Cook for about 20 minutes, until the mixture is reduced in half and is dark amber in color.
- Stir in remaining 3 cups water and cook for another 5 minutes, until the additional water is warm.
- Add rum to the mixture, then remove from heat.
For the butter:
- In a medium-size bowl, beat together the butter, vanilla extract, brown sugar, cloves and cinnamon.
- Pour 1 cup of rum mixture into 5 glasses.
- Top with 1 to 3 tablespoons butter mixture.
Simply Organic® Cinnamon Sticks
Whole, organic cinnamon sticks sourced from small farm cooperatives in Indonesia.