Organic Cardamom Orange Old Fashioned
Organic cardamom and orange peel bring unique flavor to this simple old fashioned recipe.
Use organic ingredients where possible.
Cardamom Orange Old Fashioned:
- 4 ounces bourbon or rye whiskey, divided
- 4 to 6 dashes Angostura Bitters, divided
- 4 teaspoons Cardamom Simple Syrup, divided (see directions below)
- 2 orange peels
- 2 Simply Organic® Cinnamon Sticks (optional)
- ice cube(s)
Cardamom Simple Syrup:
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic® Cardamom
- Note: The simple syrup recipe will provide more syrup than needed to make this drink, but enough to make preparing the syrup worth the time it takes. Store extra syrup in the refrigerator for later.
For the old fashioned:
- In each glass (this recipe makes 2 drinks), combine the 2 ounces bourbon or rye whiskey, 2 to 3 dashes of bitters and 2 teaspoons syrup.
- Add orange peel to each glass. Using a muddler, crush the orange peel into the drink to release the orange flavor.
- Add cinnamon stick, then let the drink rest for a few minutes.
For the simple syrup:
- In a small pot, bring the water, sugar and cardamom to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- For more orange flavor, substitute an orange slice (with flesh) for the orange peel. Allow drink to rest for a few minutes, then stir to release flavor.
Simply Organic® Cardamom
Organic cardamom with a high oil content for adding spicy depth to sweets and savories.