Organic Gingerbread White Chocolate Mousse Trifle
Perfectly-spiced gingerbread cake cubes are layered with rich, white chocolate mousse and finished with decorative sprinkles of nutmeg for an elegant white chocolate mousse trifle.
SERVES: 8 to 10
Use organic ingredients where possible.
For the Cake:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour + extra for dusting the pan
- 11⁄2 teaspoons Simply Organic® Ground Ginger Root
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ground Cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup cane sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsulphured molasses
- 2 eggs
For the White Chocolate Mousse:
- 2 pints heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar, or more to taste
- 2 teaspoons Simply Organic® Vanilla Extract
- 2 4-ounce white chocolate baking bars, broken into large pieces
For the Garnish:
- Simply Organic® Ground Nutmeg
To Make the Cake:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt, baking soda and baking powder. In a medium bowl, add melted butter and whisk in hot water, then whisk in sugar, molasses, and eggs. Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk until blended.
- Grease and generously flour a 9-inch round cake pan. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes. Allow cake to cool to the touch, then remove from pan. When fully cooled, cut into even cubes.
To Make the White Chocolate Mousse:
- Meanwhile, with an electric mixer, whip cream, sugar and vanilla for about 8 minutes until thick and smooth, being careful not to over beat. Add more powdered sugar to taste, if desired. Note that the chocolate will also add sweetness to the mousse.
- In the top of a double boiler, add white chocolate pieces and stir just until melted. Remove from heat and fold into whipped cream mixture. Chill mousse until ready to assemble trifle.
- Spoon a small amount of mousse into the bottom of a trifle dish and spread evenly. Add a single layer of cake cubes, followed by a thick layer of mousse. Repeat layers with remaining cake and mousse. Sprinkle top with nutmeg.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.