Organic Clementine Upside Down Cupcakes
Organic rosemary and caramelized clementines combine for a show-stopping topping in these unique cupcakes.
Use organic ingredients where possible.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄3 cup white sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons clementine juice (or 2 to 3 clementines, juiced)
- 1 tablespoon clementine zest
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Caramelized Rosemary Clementine Topping:
- 8 teaspoons coconut sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons Simply Organic® Rosemary, divided
- 16 clementine slices
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons clementine juice
- 1 teaspoon clementine zest
For the batter:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, use a mixer to beat the butter and sugar for 2 to 3 minutes, until well whipped.
- With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, one at a time.
- Add the sour cream, clementine juice, clementine zest and vanilla extract. Beat for about 1 minute, until well combined, scraping the sides of the bowl if necessary.
- Sift in the flour. Add the baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
For the topping:
- On the bottom of each space in a greased cupcake or muffin pan, sprinkle 1⁄2 teaspoon coconut sugar and 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary.
- Top the sugar and rosemary with a clementine slice, then on top of the clementine slice, using an ice cream scoop, spoon a dollop of cupcake batter.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until the cupcake batter is set. Remove the cupcakes from the muffin tin and flip upside down. The tops of the cupcakes should be slightly caramelized from the coconut sugar.
- Allow the cupcakes to rest for 5 minutes.
For the icing:
- Combine all icing ingredients. Mix well.
- Over tops of cupcakes, drizzle icing.
- For the icing, substitute orange juice for clementine juice, if desired.
Simply Organic® Rosemary
Organic rosemary with a fresh taste that stars in dressings, soups, breads and sauces.