Spinach and Artichoke Pull-Apart Bread
A beautiful pull-apart bread wreath rolled around savory goat cheese, spinach and artichoke filling, and topped with organic poppy seeds, garlic and dried herbs.
SERVES: 6 to 8
Use organic ingredients where possible.
For the Bread Dough:
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + extra for greasing bowl
- 2 tablespoons organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour + extra for dusting
For the Filling:
- 2 ounces plain goat cheese, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup frozen spinach, thawed, rinsed, and drained
- 1⁄3 cup chopped artichoke hearts, rinsed, if packed in oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Garlic Powder
For the Topping:
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Simply Organic® Poppy Seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Oregano Leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Simply Organic® Garlic Powder
To Make the Bread Dough:
- In a large bowl, whisk together water and yeast. Let mixture rest for 5 minutes to activate yeast. Whisk in olive oil, sugar, salt and egg. Gradually add the 3 cups flour, stirring to combine. When mixed and too stiff to stir, shape dough into a ball. Knead dough for 5 minutes, sprinkling with extra flour if needed. Lightly coat bowl with oil and roll dough in oil to coat. Cover with a towel and let dough rise for 2 to 3 hours, until doubled in size.
- Punch dough and place on parchment paper dusted with flour. Roll dough into a long rectangle.
To Fill the Bread:
- Scatter filling ingredients evenly down center of dough, starting with the cheeses and finishing with the spices.
- Fold one side of dough lengthwise over filling, then fold other side over to form a long tube.
- Join ends together to create a wreath shape.
- Carefully transfer wreath and parchment paper to a baking sheet.
To Finish the Bread:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Use kitchen scissors to make even cuts in dough from the outside in, cutting only halfway through, to create individual rolls that can be pulled apart once baked.
- Let dough rest, uncovered, while oven heats.
- Brush top of wreath with beaten egg. In a small bowl, whisk together spices and sprinkle over wreath.
- Reduce oven to 400 degrees. Bake wreath for 20 to 22 minutes, until golden brown. Rotate sheet pan halfway through baking to ensure even browning.
- Allow bread to cool for 20 to 25 minutes, until cool to touch, before serving.
- To serve, cut or pull the individual “rolls” away from the wreath.