Organic Caramelized Apple Brie Bruschetta
Caramelized apples, fresh brie and ceylon cinnamon come together to make a savory-sweet organic apple brie bruschetta.
Use organic ingredients where possible.
- 1 baguette, cut into 1-inch slices (about 16 slices)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 8-ounce wedge brie cheese, cut into same number of slices as baguette (rind removed, if desired)
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 to 4 medium-large apples, cut into same number of slices as baguette (leave skins on)
- 2 heaping tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic® Ceylon Cinnamon
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- Simply Organic® Thyme
Balsamic Vinegar Reduction:
For the balsamic vinegar:
- In a small saucepan, heat balsamic vinegar over medium-high heat. Bring the vinegar to a lively simmer, then reduce to a slight simmer.
- Simmer the vinegar for about 10 minutes, until reduced in half.
- Set away from heat.
For the bread:
- Turn the broiler on low.
- On a cookie sheet, spread the baguette slices and brush each slice with olive oil. Place the baguette under the broiler for 3 to 5 minutes, until crisp.
- Remove from underneath broiler and place brie slices on the warm bread.
For the caramelized apples:
- While the bread crisps, in a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter.
- Once melted, add the apples.
- Stirring frequently, sauté for 7 to 9 minutes, until soft.
- Over the apples, sprinkle sugar, gently folding it into the apples for about 3 minutes, until caramelized. Remove from heat.
- On top of each brie slice, place an apple slice.
- Top with thyme, balsamic reduction and honey. Serve warm.
- For extra cinnamon flavor, add 1 cinnamon stick to the balsamic reduction during the cooking process. Remove the cinnamon stick before serving.
Simply Organic® Ceylon Cinnamon
Organic Ceylon or “true cinnamon,” produced by small farm cooperatives in Sri Lanka.